Tuesday 22 February 2011

Crowd Funding

Need to raise money to make your movie?


Why not put a project on IndieGoGO or Kickstarter and use crowd funding to get the money.


I have checked out these sites and with Kickstarter, you pick an amount that you want to raise.


Then setup a project and offer people various things, such as Tee Shirts, DVD’s, TIckets, Credits with dollar pledges.


You don’t get the money until the full amount is raised and Kickstarter take 5%, it sounds a great idea, I don’t know if it is legal or not. I think it must be.


The other thing is you keep 100% of the rights to your project. The pledge gets you something, but not a percentage of the film. I know there used to be problems asking for small investors to invest in movies.


I don’t think are any limits, so in theory you could ask for $100,000,000 to make an action block buster, full of hollywood A-list actors. If you did that and it only raised $90,000,000 in the time, no money would change hands and the funders would not be billed on their credit cards.


IndieGoGo is a similar idea, but more focused on making indie films. the only problem I have is I looked at how it works and I still haven’t figured out how it works. I can see you can make a project, but is it the same as kickstarter, where the money is transferred if the project is full funded and does IndieGoGo take a percentage, I didn’t find this information.


More later when I find out how it works.


I’ve put Pub Crawl up on IndieGoGo

No comments:

Post a Comment